Federal Stimulus Money Available for Staff Development
School districts and educational agencies can use Federal Stimulus Money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) to provide professionals with the skills needed to turn crisis situations into learning opportunities for youth with chronic patterns of self-defeating behaviors.
School administrators across the country are currently making important decisions about how to best apply education stimulus funds. This is an unprecedented opportunity to advance reforms and improvements that will yield positive, long-lasting results, improved classroom management, enhanced student learning, and a safer, more caring environment for all—students, teachers, and support staff.
To help you understand how the training programs offered by the LSCI Institute align with the activities authorized for ARRA funding, please read below:
IDEA Part B – Section 611
Authorized activities. – Funds reserved under subparagraph (A) may be used to carry out the following activities:
- For support and direct services, including technical assistance, personnel preparation, and professional development and training.
- The LSCI Institute training courses provide professionals with the skills and strategies for turning crisis situations into learning opportunities for children and youth with chronic patterns of self-defeating behaviors. Our non-physical intervention strategies use a multi-theoretical approach to behavior management and problem solving. LSCI training provides professional staff with a roadmap through conflict to desired outcomes using crisis as an opportunity to teach and create positive relationships with youth.
- The LSCI Institute’s training programs are designed to suit a variety of adult learning styles. Extensive demonstration, role-play, video footage of real-world interactions with youth, as well as written examinations and competency-based testing, ensure that participants learn and understand program concepts.
- To assist local educational agencies in providing positive behavioral interventions and supports and appropriate mental health services for children with disabilities.
- A comprehensive Positive Behavior Support Plan includes a range of intervention strategies that are designed to prevent the problem behavior while teaching socially appropriate alternative behaviors. The goal is an enhanced quality of life for individuals involved and their support providers in a variety of settings.
- The LSCI certification course curriculum supports and coincides with the Positive Behavior Support curriculum
- To support capacity building activities and improve the delivery of services by local educational agencies to improve results for children with disabilities.
- The mission of the LSCI Institute is to provide advanced skills for professionals who work with troubled and troubling children and youth to enable them to prevent and resolve crises, to build good relationships with challenging youth, and to help them learn to change repetitive patterns of self-defeating behavior.
- Outcomes of successful implementation of LSCI include a change in organizational culture, a change in adult professional behavior, and a change in staff relationships with students.
- To provide technical assistance to schools and local educational agencies, and direct services, including supplemental educational services as defined in 1116 (e) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 on the sole basis of the assessment results of the disaggregated subgroup of children with disabilities, including providing professional development to special and regular education teachers, who teach children with disabilities, based on scientifically based research to improve educational instruction, in order to improve academic achievement to meet or exceed the objectives established by the State.
- The training programs offered by the LSCI Institute support schools and local education agencies as they work to improve the quality and safety of the learning environments in every district for both regular education students and students with disabilities.
- With National Training Sites across the United States, LSCI training is in or near your area on a regular basis. Additionally, many schools find our on-site training option attractive as it offers convenient, flexible scheduling and the opportunity to adapt LSCI strategies to their unique challenges.
Check out our Calendar of Events to find an already-scheduled training in your area or click on International Training Sites to contact a certified Senior Trainer in your area. Don’t forget, the LSCI Institute also offers training at Your Doorstep.